Thursday 1 November 2012

Nebulous

It's November! The steadily darkening month of October is over and now the incredibly dark month of November is here, as is the spectre of Christmas shopping. I didn't grow up with Christmas shopping; it was something that started with university as I suddenly had flat mates and people who expected things and then it grew over time. As a result, everyone gets BOOKS and sometimes a dvd. My friends usually have a small pile of tomes they may never read stacked in a corner, which would benefit them in some way. Gosh, is that why people avoid me? Anyway, it is Christmas shopping season and it's a tiring thought when you're temporarily seeking employment.

November is also the month of tedious darkness that can be very draining for those of you with seasonal adjusted disorder, or the winter blues. The best thing to do is go for a walk every day in the middle of the day and be reminded that there is light and also to go get some exercise as regularly as you can. It's a dread time but it is possible to get through without special lamps and medication.

Oh, job hunting is so hard! Yesterday I wrote a supporting statement for a really interesting job which had to cover ten years and be relevant the whole time. Writing with such a purpose is ruining my ability to write without a purpose in a senseless way. Writing in a senseless way is the birthright of a civilized person with no sanity on a Thursday night and the ability to do so must be preserved at all cost! And rice pudding should be free for all!

On other notes, there's a bike rack for the car now! I plan some trips down the cycle route into Llanelli and may even replace some job centre bus trips with it... Huzzah! Going to the job centre to sign for benefits is one of the most humbling experiences there is. It's hard to be pompous (unless you're arrogant) about being educated and a doctor when you're surrounded by the great mass of unfortunate humanity, all in the same boat as you and all ever so embarrassed about taking the money they have to take. I hope it will end soon. I hope. In these times of austerity, the people at the bottom seem to suffer a lot. Perhaps cuts shouldn't be seen at this level. I hope they won't be seen at this level. Oh, this passage is making too much sense. Sense must be combated. Bring on the Gouda Monster.

'nebulous - not developed or clear enough to describe'

I think that the best therapeutic blog post is nebulous to the point of madness, a route of consciousness that allows pressure to blow off and the world to become more manageable as your inner thoughts and conflicts with the outside world merge into words and concepts on a page and so much smaller on the outside than they are on the inside.

Coming up soon, I'm planning reviews for the movies 'Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory', 'North By Northwest' and 'Stranger Than Fiction', as well as pieces on the novels 'Gateway' and 'Contact'. Some of these reviews mean rather a lot to me and I hope I can do them justice while labouring under the load of application writing. 'Gateway' especially is a novel that everyone should be made to read. It's amazing! I wish Pohl hadn't written sequels as they dilute the mystique of the thing, although I deliberately haven't read them for that reason. Leave the questions unanswered.

O.

No comments:

Post a Comment