Monday 14 April 2014

Smoosh

Words. Scattered. Whirls of thought. The classic movie 'Bringing Up Baby' is accompanying me as I write, and proving to be utterly delightful. In fact it's so impressive that 'His Girl Friday' is on its way now to make up the pair. Cary Grant has leapfrogged up dramatically on my personal popularity chart!

It's confusing to be temporarily back in research. Today, my day was spent in trying to devise a suitable set of boundary conditions for slipping Stokes flow in a constriction geometry, which is nowhere near as complicated as it sounds. What it is is really really tricky to pull off without material spilling all over and across the physical boundaries. Sigh and double sigh. Finite elements are not useful. All this and a set of solutions for a past paper still to do!

Coverage on the Quirky Muffin is going to becomes erratic over the next few weeks, as holidays and conferences intrude on the regular pattern. If there are regular readers, the author humbly requests you be patient until the disruptions lighten up toward the end of May. Hopefully the rest will reinvigorate the atrophied creative muscles, and allow time for some story ideas to be roughed out properly.

<Watches climax to the film>

What a lovely little film! Howard Hawks is one of those mysterious directors I refuse to learn more about. In truth learning too much about anyone out there in the entertainment land really lessens their likeability. Let Grace Kelly be ethereal on the screen, but I refuse to find out more about her starlet behaviour, especially as the little I know I wish I didn't. Oh, humans, we can't be trusted anywhere! Who wants to know that Scarlet Johansson smokes (ick) or anything about Tom Cruise at all?

O.

No comments:

Post a Comment