Sunday 18 October 2015

Story: The Glove, VII

( Part VI , VIII )

Burgh was by no means a backwater city or a bastion of Luddite tendencies. The populace enjoyed their own kinds of modern comforts, but were not compelled to try out the newest fads by companies looking to make their latest pennies. It was a relaxed place, with lots of musical hangouts, and a cultural influence that extended far out into the surrounding countryside. Steffan loved it there. That was why he was having a hard time leaving.

Finally, after some days of meandering, procrastinating, and being generally confused about what he should do, Steffan slung his pipes into their case, a pile of clothes into another, and boarded the express airship for Edin, the City of Tomorrow. For two days - yes, not even future other-worldly airships are that fast - he slept, watched the world roll by beneath, and wrote in his journal of recent experiences while a curious blonde lady watched him from across the aisle. He never noticed, being absorbed in his own thoughts.

*    *    *

"Monday, Week 23, High over Ganymede in the Airship 'Strata',

I miss my pipes. It would be the height of rudeness to retrieve them from the baggage and regale my fellow passengers, whoever they are, in this confined space. Oh, to be able to play the Jig Of St Ruggles, and relax these nerves!

Yes, nerves. The interview with Octavius bothers me. Why am I going to Edin? To look into to what he told me? Why not go on his behalf? I don't know. There's a feeling of distrust that keeps me awake at nights. There is something wrong. Yes, the pipers can go very many places, and naturally keep their ears open, but I never guessed they might be used as a network of spies. Spies... Am I right? Is there something wrong?"

*    *    *

"Tuesday, Week 23, the 'Strata'

Ganymede flies by beneath us, the prettiest moon in the galaxy. Troos is rising into the sky, and dwarfing our own world into insignificance. What strange effect must Troos have upon us? Instead of living on a planet with an orbiting moon, we live on the orbiting moon of a gigantic world. Might there be an effect?

In a few hours we will disembark at Edin, which I am trying to not think about. I've been thinking about intrigues, Troos, the proper maintenance of bagpipes, my father and the tree stump he said he was going to get out, and even the mysteries of the life itself. I have been trying to think about everything but the the city looming on the horizon. The City of Tomorrow.

Long, long ago, centuries after settling and colonizing the world, we built our twin cities far, far apart. I don't know why, any more. Yes, there were exchanges and all efforts were made to keep our two cities together, but something happened. Something is happening now.

Maybe the answers lie ahead, or maybe they lie behind us or beneath. The beginning lies just a few a hours into the future.

Good grief, I hope I'll be able to sleep."

*    *    *

Steffan finally slept in his couchette, and the blonde lady covered him with his blanket. Then, with a curious smile, she turned to look out finally at the horizon ahead.

There shall be more...

No comments:

Post a Comment