Thursday 4 May 2017

Story: 'Train Story', Concept

With the 'x' now bluntly pencilled into an electoral box of doom, and an enjoyable trip over, it's time to get back down to business. However, what should it be?

---

Story: 'Train Story', Concept
The train chugged along the tracks quite happily, steam and smoke trailing from the locomotive. I was at peace with the world as I watched the slow bend go by from the restaurant carriage's platform.

In the distance, there was a lake, glistening in the evening light, with a few small boats sailing in leisurely fashion. It all looked very relaxing.

"Excuse me, sir." It was a voice behind me, on the platform. Probably a conductor or porter.

"Yes?" My peace broken, I turned resignedly. It was neither a porter nor a conductor, but instead a woman in very plain clothes. In a crowd of passengers, she wouldn't have stood even a small jot.

"Train detective Jones, sir. I've been observing, and have some observations, if you would be interested."

Inwardly, I sighed. Sooner or later, someone always tried to change the rules. Maybe it was a mistake, though. "Observations about what? The beautiful scene out there perhaps?"

"No. Actually, it relates to the activities in the Poker Car, and the methodologies of your opponents." The detective was being as discreet as possible, as was her duty.

"Cheating? Deception? Creepy goings on amidst the usual shenanigans?"

"Perhaps."

"Oh well. It was getting cold anyway. Lead on, Lady Macbeth."

The detective led me back into the carriage. A herd of mammoth came into view as the bend finally came to an end, but I missed them. I always seemed to miss the mammoth.

This will eventually be expanded into a story.


No comments:

Post a Comment