Tuesday 18 June 2013

Notes from the Seafront

In my last fortnight of work here in Aberystwyth I have set myself a challenge to appreciate the environment and get out a lot more. To that end, and with good intentions, I spent a few hours reading near the lighthouse this evening and have plans for the rest of the week. Not only did I read I also thought about the upcoming first year anniversary of the Quirky Muffin a little too.

Reading at the seafront is really a lovely thing, especially when it's 'The Song of the Quarkbeast' by Jasper Fforde. I did note a few events going on around me though. For one thing a coxed four person boat rowed out of the marina and into the open sea before vanishing over the horizon. That was very mysterious and I wonder where those ladies went. Also, I had an interesting conversation with a retired university guy, who seemed perplexed by my reading instead of angling. He seemed a bit lonely, which was sad, but also kind of contented. It seems that the seafront is a very busy place, judging by all the people who passed my comfy bench!

Incidentally, 'Song of the Quarkbeast' is very good, as was the first book in the series 'The Last Dragonslayer'. Well done, Mr Fforde, there's much anticipation for book three, which is due sometime this year.

The hours on the seafront seem to have been inordinately inspirational as I've spent part of this evening coating brazil nuts and almonds in dark chocolate and cackling maniacally. The only hard part in making chocolate coated things is getting even layers on everything and no flat surfaces in the cooling. As first times go this is one of the more interesting types, involving as it does chocolate and nuts and home making.

With the first birthday of the Quirky Muffin coming up on the 27th June I'm wondering whether to do anything special... and drawing blanks. If anyone has any ideas then leave them on the comments section now happily reinstated below (Google+ tried to take it over but I thrust them back with a well-aimed chocolate coated pineapple). Now, there's a thought... chocolate coated pineapple...

Good night.

1 comment:

  1. A list of controversial topics:
    - the origin of consumerism
    - the evolution of literature and films (the art or business) and why people need fiction
    - gadgets and gizmos
    - patriotism, separatism and globalisation (can we apply bacterial aggregation models to the society?)
    - materialistic and spiritual world views (is there any common ground?)
    I.

    ReplyDelete