Tuesday 10 July 2012

The secret gamer

The problem with losing so many things in such a short time is that you lose track of time and get a bit depressed. Let's try not to let things go too far down that road this time.

Bother, my big-ticket comic book item on eBay only got £3.31 for all seven issues. Blast it! Blast it! Sometimes you just can't get rid of a bomb! Fudge and biscuits. Well, space claiming endeavours continue nonetheless!

It was a dark and stormy night. I'm that it was at some point a dark and stormy night. Perhaps it was a Tuesday. Sometimes just the act of writing can be of itself relaxing. It seems as if ninety percent of all worthwhile things are relaxing in some way. Even computer games that I really like. 'Voyage Century Online' was a game I played a lot but didn't exactly like, contrasting with 'Drift City' which I play a lot and DO like. It's great, simple, and ultimately non-violent. True there are a lot of car chases, but you're pursuing drone cars and ramming robots. And when you go out on a chase you get to put the little red police light on top of your car! Also, for various missions you can end up driving petrol trucks, garbage trucks, SUVs and even tiny little minis. And all this is taking place instead of writing maths papers, finishing the thesis, applying for jobs, or even making more eBay listings.

On DVD watch - this is apparently a non-fiction blog entry - this week I'm still watching 'Maverick' and 'Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea' and am adding 'The Flash' series from 1990. It's a potent combination, especially when lonely dogsitting days strike as like tomorrow. Oh, how I hope the application for a really cool sounding postdoc in Bristol gets done. Those supporting statements are murder! It seems impossible to find a graceful way to begin the things. Covering letters are easier, but only rarely required. It's far easier to look for cheap copies of 'Portal' or 'Portal 2' for PC. Wow, those games are supposed to be excellent.

I think I may be outing myself as a gamer, dvd watcher and not a reader. I swear I read. I'm reading right now. Is it a symptom of an ongoing moral retrograde? Oh good grief. This is all very confusing. Actually, I'm reading some Stanley Ellin short stories right now. In any case, worrying.

Cantankerous Oliver.

<Oliver shuffles back to bed and worries>

No comments:

Post a Comment