Wednesday 28 November 2012

Stars and Dramas

A misleading title for a post mostly about astronomy and my favourite Star Trek films! I have just begun an astronomy course on Coursera and the introductory video was rather interesting. It actually brought to mind some of the excellent free software out there for educational use. Most specifically for this use I would really recommend anyone who's interested in Astronomy to try out the free planetarium software Stellarium. It is most excellent.

Thinking back on my favourite movies I had the strange realisation that my four favourite Star Trek movies are, in no particular order, 'Star Trek II', 'Star Trek VI', 'Master & Commander' and 'Galaxy Quest'. Even someone with a walnut for a brain such as myself can spot the contradiction in that list, but the reasoning is secure for those four movies are all what the best Star Trek aspires to be... Adventure movies. A lot of the reason I disliked the newest movie from 2009 was that it wasn't an adventure movie and was a fairly rubbish action movie instead. The distinction between an adventure and an action movie is fuzzy but I believe it lies in the amount of characterisation and plot compared to action. Star Trek has always favoured plot and characterisation over action, even when the plots and characterisations are awful. It's really kind of upsetting two of the best Star Trek movies aren't even part of Star Trek! There are probably others too. Crikey Nora and Great Shades of Elvis! Star Trek is very much like Superman, in that the tone and consistency required is really hard to hit even with experience and are really not suited to modern day productions due to the lack of action. I really have no hope for the next Star Trek and Superman movies for that very reason. Where's the adventure? Where's the optimism? Why am I a fuddie duddie? What is a fuddie duddie? Master & Commander is a truly wonderful movie and backs up the glory that is Peter Weir as a director. Bring it on, people, none of you can stand next to Peter Weir!

Last week I was really happy because a good friend of mine passed her viva and I became obsessed with writing limericks. Then I went away to Aberystwyth and forgot about it all but I'm back now and I feel a limerick is in order. It's a shame that none are working out though. Oh, oh, I have one, and it's terrible!

The scientist stared blankly but with vigour
As the orange peel resisted his finger
He wielded a knife and then a hopeful spoon
But the peel rebelled and he became a loon
Until the orange gave up with a snigger. 



Dedication:This post is dedicated to Eleni for being a lovely friend and passing her viva, Elena for being an excellent and very patient language swapper and Hannah for being the best college friend possible under these current laws of physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment