Thursday 22 November 2012

Two modes of writing, both in opposition

After a few days of finishing off the first draft of my paper it seems obvious to me that academic writing and recreational writing are totally in opposition to one another. It seems as if doing one inhibits the other and vice versa. Today, as an example, I wrote a large number of topical limericks on the subject of a friend's viva and struggled mightily with the last section of the much muted Article. The Article has been in preparation for so long that I can't believe I've been anything but negligent in its production.

Limericks are awesome, by the way. As I write this I'm watching 'The Brave Little Toaster' and it's really freaking me out. There's something so honest about it that I can barely stand to watch it, just like those times when you resist committing to things because they'll break your heart in the end. It seems to be a fine animated movie, charming in every way, and it scares me to death. Oh my gosh, a blender just got murdered! This should be certified '15'! Gosh, film certifications are a mess, and I can never tell what to watch anymore. Star Trek II is about my limit and that's nothing any more.

Last weekend I went to Cardiff and this weekend I'm off to Aberystwyth. I miss the old place almost constantly. When I was in Hungary I longed constantly for the sea and a cool walk along the prom, a longing that was only partially satiated by the University Lake while in Nottingham. There's something so relaxing about walks by water, especially at night. They are simply acts of detoxification for the soul.

Detoxification: the process of removing poisons from a substance

Detoxification occurs on so many levels that it's almost impossible to list them all, but the most important one to me is the spiritual detox that clears our minds of all the stresses and toils that encompass us in our weary little worlds of work and fate. The pressures of living life as we're expected to live it are almost insurmountable in their persistence and overwhelming thrall. It seems that people should relax a whole lot more than they do, and sleep more, and nonsense more. Nonsense is the best way on Earth to relax. Spikes the Mutant Cactus agrees with me, even as he huddles in the garden shelter. It rained so much today that the paths and roads were streaming water and the valley is sure to be flooded. Even Spikes had to reinforce the Rain Bubble. I hope Aberystwyth is still viable for tomorrow...

Ping, hippopotamus.

No comments:

Post a Comment