Tuesday 8 January 2013

An interview?

What to write about? After months of job searching I have managed to achieve the first step: An interview. The first important thing about an interview is to remember that it is possible to pass. The second important thing is to remember that it is not a mere formality but a genuine test. One must put oneself in the dead middle of reality and tackle it much like everything else. Best not say any more, it would be unseemly and inappropriate.

Talking of interviews, suddenly an incident has come to mind. There was a psychotherapist called Emil Zargo (well, not really, but let's not spoil things) and he notably conducted a series of interviews with a notable patient known only as Logarithm. An excerpt is shown below.

<excerpt begins>
Zargo: Well, good afternoon, Logarithm. How are you feeling today?

Logarithm: Quite well, but I would really like Luxembourg.

Zargo: Luxembourg? The country? Why would you want Luxembourg?

Logarithm: My head feels bare. I need a hat.

Zargo: I see. Why not Wales? It's woolier there.

Logarithm: Don't be silly. It's too big!

Zargo: Of course. How was lunch?

<some chatter later>

Logarithm: And that was how Ziggy painted the rec room in pink before anyone noticed.

Zargo: It seems you're very observant. You're showing a marked improvement in your environmental awareness, Logarithm, well done.

Logarithm: Thank you. It's all part of my plan.

Zargo: Plan?

Logarithm: I have to get out of here so I can avoid looking at any more of those inkblots!

Zargo: But why? They're quite pleasant.

Logarithm: You expect me to see things in them! I can never see anything. Well, once I saw Sherlock Holmes playing a trombone but it didn't seem relevant.

Zargo: Sherlock Holmes playing a trombone?

Logarithm: No, I never saw that.

Zargo: I see.
<end of excerpt>

Logarithm's behaviour was even more unexpected when you consider that he was a Mexican with a doctoral degree in foot fungi. He was finally released upon admitting that he had in fact stolen the roof off his house and used it to build a small pagoda in a nearby park, which he had moved into and named Little Smedlinghurst.

To summarise: Interviews can be very interesting.

O.

No comments:

Post a Comment